Sunday 20 May 2007

Running

Running. Now, there's a funny thing. I can't stand it, I find it the most tedious thing in the world, and yet I continue to make half arsed attempts at shifting my sizeable bulk at high speeds along the ground. Why would a sensible, sane (sort of) human being indulge in such nonsense? Quite frankly, it beats the hell out of me.

Today I went for a run for the first time in about 10 days. I've been very lax, and my fitness levels have dropped off. I was in a position to be able to run 10k (albeit at roughly the same pace as a knackered steam roller) but lack of interest (or, as it's more commonly known, 'bone idleness') has seen me run shorter and shorter distances. I've not done more than 4 miles in months, and over the last few weeks I've not really run at all. I'd say I've had a good month, maybe more, where the most I've run is 5k, and with a 2 week gap which saw me go from running my fastest ever 5k to running my slowest since my first ones. Bummer.

With that in mind, I was pleased enough to get through a 5k without stopping, and in a much faster time than my last 'effort.' It was still veeeeery very slow, though, at just under 37 minutes. For a change, I could find absolutely no excuses as to why I was running slowly, and to be honest I think I did the best I could. For the first time I actually concentrated solely on my breathing - in, 2, 3, out, 2, 3 - and thought about nothing else. My iPod wasn't charged, so I didn't even listen to music. Baffie was very good, apart from stopping to crap twice - but I amended my time to compensate for that - so she didn't slow me down at all. I did get nasty blisters from my new Asics, despite Fisher having used cure-all duct tape on them. Actually, the duct tape rolled up inside and was probably the cause of the blisters! Still, it worked last time so I'll just keep replacing it.

Fisher has hurt her foot. She had to stop and walk a way, and is very upset about it. I don't think it's anything serious, as she says it only kicks in after about a mile or so. If it were serious I imagine it would hurt straight away. It's probably - according to her - some acquired flat footed thing, and getting arches for her shoes will help. The trouble is, any slight suggestion of being imperfect upsets her. Considering she's got no cartiledge in her ankle, only one fully healthy lung, and is generally held together with string, I think she should just thank her lucky stars she doesn't leave bits of herself across the countryside. Still, injuries are incredible frustrating so I do feel for her. A bit.

I've got a tennis match tomorrow (in Mon - bloody - trose! I won't be back until midnight or later!) and I haven't picked up a raquet in almost two weeks, so I really ought to go and have a knock tonight. It's a beautiful evening - perfect for tennis. I don't want to overdo it, though.

Ah, screw it. It was only 5k, for crying out loud! A bit of light doubles is hardly going to knock me on my arse.

Famous last words ...

0 comments: